The Holy Spirit Throughout History #12 : “The Holy Spirit in Creativity” Pt. 2-- Eccl. and Proverbs"
Where is the Holy Spirit in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes?
- As we’ve seen with a couple other books, the Holy Spirit is not directly mentioned in either the Proverbs or Ecclesiastes.
- However, both books surround and encompass the subject of wisdom.
Let’s see if you can pass a little test: Is this from Proverbs or Ecclesiastes?
- For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow. - Ecc 1:18
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight. - Pro 9:10
- Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good. - Ecc 9:18
- Dead flies make the perfumer's ointment give off a stench; so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.- Ecc 10:1
- The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way, but the folly of fools is deceiving. - Pro 14:8
- The discerning sets his face toward wisdom, but the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth. - Pro 17:24
The Holy Spirit and Wisdom are intertwined together throughout the scriptures.
- Act 6:10 But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.
- 1Co 2:13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
- And to the whole church in Ephesus, Paul prays that God may “give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him.”
- And so we’ll label Proverbs and Ecclesiastes as The Spirit of Wisdom.