The Holy Spirit Throughout History #25: "The Spirit of Incarnation” -- Introduction to NT
- The Holy Spirit - in the OT - always acted on behalf of the nation.
- Most every prophecy benefited the nation, not individuals.
- Most every work of the Spirit was done for the sake of the nation.
To answer the HOW, let me break it down in to 2a, 2b, and 2c
- A) The Indwelling
- As a reminder, here is what was said about the New Covenant Messiah would usher in:
- Jer 31:31-33 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
- Eze 36:26-27a, And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you…
In the two times where “New Covenant” is clearly and emphatically mentioned in the OT, it is clear that God will place HIMSELF WITHIN individual hearts. The result: A covenant that cannot be broken because God is the binding force, not man’s obedience.