The Holy Spirit Throughout History #39: "The Spirit of Joy” -- 1&2 Thessalonians
1 Thessalonians 1:5-7 says, “our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. (6) And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, (7) so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia.”
The HOW is in the delivery and the reception of the Gospel.
The Gospel of Christ was delivered in:
- The Holy Spirit
- Full conviction (of those delivering it - see v7 for context)
The Gospel of Christ was received in:
- “Much” persecution
- The joy of the Holy Spirit
- Which resulted in being model believers for others in the early church
- For our Sunday morning titling purpose, in 1& 2 Thessalonians, we see God’s Spirit is:
- The Spirit of Joy
- Joy even amidst horrific persecution.
- Only the Spirit of God can rise up within us and do that.